Thursday, October 13, at 89, the year he died the king of Thailand Bhumibol Adulyadej. He had been on the throne since 1946 and was the reigning monarch of incumbent heads of state and of all monarchs in Thai history. The country has declared 30 days of mourning. Recent years, the king was seriously ill
- Adulyadej was born in the United States, and educated at the University of Lausanne in Switzerland.
- Adulyadej became king of Thailand at the age of 19, after the suicide of his older brother. The suicide caused a lot of rumors, including about the involvement Adulyadej. Discuss the version of death different from the official one in Thailand is prohibited.
- The king was the reigning (68 years old) monarch in the world.
- The king held in a Buddhist monastery 15 days and became a monk after the death of his grandmother Queen Savang Vathana, as tradition dictates.
- During his reign the text of the Constitution of Thailand has changed 17 times.
Photo: David Longstreath/AP
- Insulting the king and members of the Royal family in Thailand is a criminal offense and shall be punishable by deprivation of liberty for a term of three to 15 years.
- From 2005 to 2010, the number of cases of “lese majeste” increased 95 times.
- The victory of the athlete from Thailand Somjit Jongjohor at the Olympics in Beijing was devoted to the king.
- In 2013, Thailand has been the most massive in the new Millennium unrest. A truce between supporters of Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra and the opposition was signed on 5 December 2013, the birthday of the king, out of respect to the monarch.
- The last few years, Bhumibol Adulyadej was confined to a hospital bed and left the hospital Siriraj only on 5 December, the day of his birth to address the nation. During these years the hospital was organized by his temporary residence.