Russian military during mine clearing Eastern districts of Aleppo in Syria
Photo: Russian defense Ministry/TASS
The defense Ministry stated about the lack of coalition strikes on the oil.
4 Jan, 15:01
Putin congratulated Assad with the liberation of Aleppo
23 Dec 2016, 19:26
The head of the Russian General staff announced that the Ministry of defence began reducing troops in Syria in accordance with the presidential decree. According to him, the first zone of the conflict will leave the aircraft-carrying cruiser “Admiral Kuznetsov”
The Russian defense Ministry has begun to reduce troops in Syria in accordance with the decision of President Vladimir Putin. This was stated by the chief of the General staff of the Russian Armed forces army General Valery Gerasimov, reports TASS.
“In accordance with the decision of the Supreme commander of the armed forces of the Russian Federation Vladimir Putin, the Russian defense Ministry starts to reduce forces in Syria,” — said Gerasimov.
He also said that the first conflict zone to leave the ships aircraft carrier group of the Northern fleet headed by the aircraft carrier “Admiral Kuznetsov”.
“I want to thank the entire staff of the ship aircraft carrier group for the successful accomplishment of the tasks. The eldest on the campaign, Vice-Admiral Viktor Sokolov ordered today to begin taking down the ship aircraft carrier group and make the transition to point base Severomorsk in accordance with the previously approved plan,” he said (quoted by “Interfax”).
That aircraft-carrying cruiser “Admiral Kuznetsov” and the heavy nuclear missile cruiser “Peter the Great” can return to Severomorsk, January 3, wrote “Interfax” with reference to sources. “Expected in January “Admiral Kuznetsov” and “Peter the Great” completed the long March and go to his native shores”, — said the Agency interlocutor.
Dec 29, defense Minister Sergei Shoigu at the meeting with the President said that Syria has created opportunities to reduce groupings of the Russian armed forces. Vladimir Putin with this proposal agreed. The President noted that Russia will continue to support the Syrian government in the fight against terrorism.
The carrier group led by “Admiral Kuznetsov” went to the Mediterranean sea from Severomorsk on October 15. It also entered the heavy nuclear missile cruiser “Pyotr Veliky”, large anti-submarine ships “Severomorsk”, “Vice-Admiral Kulakov” and support vessels. The press service of the Northern fleet said that the aim of the campaign is “providing a naval presence in the operationally important areas of the World ocean”.
On 15 November, the defense Ministry announced that a terrorist attack with “Admiral Kuznetsov” was involved in a military operation in Syria.