The military called the date of the appointment of the new commander...

The military called the date of the appointment of the new commander of Russian troops in Syria

110
0
SHARE



Commander of the Western military district (ZVO), Colonel-General Andrey Kartapolov

Photo: Igor Zarembo/RIA Novosti

The military operation in Syria

The defense Ministry announced the beginning of the reducing groups in Syria
Yesterday, 11:50


The defense Ministry stated about the lack of coalition strikes on the oil.
4 Jan, 15:01



Another 149 materials

On December 19 the group of Russian forces in Syria is commanded by Colonel-General Andrey Kartapolov. He previously served as commander of the Western military district

The group of Russian troops in Syria headed by commander of the Western military district (ZVO), Colonel-General Andrey Kartapolov. About it reports “RIA Novosti” with reference to the head of press service ZVO Colonel Igor Muginova.

Kartapolov was sent to Syria on 19 December 2016, said Muginov. Instead, the duties of the district commander shall be temporarily performed by the chief of staff call, Lieutenant-General Viktor Astapov.

On Friday, January 6, Kartapolov already spent in the Ministry of defence briefing in his new position. He spoke about the reduction groups in Syria, in particular the withdrawal from the Mediterranean sea to Severomorsk naval carrier strike group of the Northern fleet of the Russian Navy. According to him, during operations in Syria, the pilots of the Russian naval aviation performed 420 sorties.

Earlier, on 6 January about the beginning of reduction in Syria military group of the Russian armed forces in accordance with the decision of the President was announced by the head of the General staff Valery Gerasimov. According to him, the first in new York city will depart carrier group led by the cruiser “Admiral Kuznetsov”. The group was sent into the Mediterranean in mid-October. A month later, the defense Ministry reported that carrier-based aircraft from the cruiser “Admiral Kuznetsov” took place in Syria’s first air strikes.

Before the position of the commander of the group was occupied by Lieutenant-General Alexander Zhuravlev, wrote in July, the newspaper “Kommersant”, citing sources in the General staff. “It happened not today, not yesterday, but some time ago,” — said later the source of “Interfax”. Press Secretary of the President Dmitry Peskov declared that “this is not the decree of the President”, and advised to forward the issue to the defense Ministry, reported “RIA Novosti”. The previous commander of the troops of Russia, Colonel-General Alexander Dvornikov, head of the southern military district. About it July 1, 2016, announced defense Minister Sergei Shoigu.

Kartapolov commanded the troops of the Western military district from November 2015. Awarded the order “For military merit”.