According to the presidential adviser on internal security, the United States intends to bring Pyongyang to justice
USA intend to bring North Korea to account for the spread of the virus WannaCry, which in may of last year, affected hospitals, banks and other institutions in more than 150 countries.
“We will shame them for it,” – said the adviser on internal security Tom Bossert, speaking on Tuesday to reporters at the White house. However, he acknowledged that to bring individual perpetrators to justice will be difficult.
“We put forward these accusations, and the evidence, and (together) with partners,” he added, noting that many other governments and private companies came to the same conclusions.
“The United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, New Zealand and Japan have seen our analysis and also responsible for WannaCry on the DPRK. Commercial partners have also taken action. Microsoft came to the conclusion that the attack was cyberorganism associated with the North Korean government. Their analytical data are also provided by other members of the industry,” he said.
According to experts, the virus WannaCry used a vulnerability in some versions of the Windows operating system, which was not installed updates for security.
Bossert, who served as adviser to the President for homeland security and combating terrorism, noted with regret that to curb activities of the DPRK is little that can be done, given that Pyongyang already subjected to severe sanctions in many areas.
“The administration used all possible levers to change the behavior of the DPRK, except to starve them to death, he said. – So we have little opportunity to pressure them to change their behavior. However, it is very important to expose them to criticism and to show that we know that this is their handiwork”.
Bossert commended the efforts of Microsoft, Facebook and other “corporate partners” that have taken independent action, without coordination by the state to prevent another attempt of cyber attacks from North Korea last week.
“Microsoft and Facebook and other large technology corporations have taken steps to thwart a number of attempts of cyber attacks from North Korea as they continue to infect the computers worldwide. They closed the accounts of the hackers the North Korean regime, which were used to commit attacks, and updated their security systems,” said Bossert.
Director of the Center for cyber security and homeland security at George Washington University Frank Cilluffo believes that private companies in the future will lead the efforts to combat foreign cyber-attacks.
“Even the largest of these companies starting their activities, did not expect that they will have to defend themselves against foreign intelligence services, he said. – So what we are seeing from Microsoft in North Korea, demonstrates a much greater level of activity in terms of the fight against botnets and malicious software. The private sector is cooperating with authorities not only in USA but also in other countries.”
“Work in regular mode here is simply not enough,” he adds.
Pyongyang has long suspected in the spread of a computer virus WannaCry, which in may of this year has affected at least 150 countries, depriving users of access to files and other important functions. Among the victims were American delivery service FedEx, Spanish Telecom Telefonica and the British national health service, which was forced to cancel operations in hospitals and direct ambulance to other hospitals. Virus program demanded a ransom in exchange for unlocking the files on the infected computers.
Subsequently, the WannaCry attack was stopped by a British hacker who found the function in your code that stops the virus.
In recent years, Pyongyang has repeatedly been accused of committing cyber attacks, including the famous attack on the film company Sony Pictures in 2014. It is assumed that it was committed in retaliation for the satirical film “the Interview”, which describes the scenario of the assassination of North Korean leader Kim Jong-UN.